University of Tennessee
Manual therapy techniques are skilled hand movements and passive movements of joints and soft tissues intended to improve tissue extensibility; increase range of motion; induce relaxation; mobilize or manipulate soft tissue and joints; modulate pain; and reduce soft tissue swelling, inflammation, or restriction. Techniques may include manual traction, massage, mobilization/manipulation, and passive range of motion.
Manual Therapy is a specialized treatment approach that consists of hands-on techniques including joint mobilization, massage, and other interventions designed to mobilize joints, activate muscles, connective tissues, and stimulate nerves in order to facilitate healing and restore optimal function. This program is designed to teach canine rehabilitation practitioners’ canine peripheral joint and spinal biomechanics, and manual therapy techniques inclusive of joint mobilization, massage, and range of motion. Our courses are designed to provide clinicians with practical techniques that will change the way they practice and help patients achieve maximal outcomes.
This course is designed to teach advanced principles of manual therapy including massage/soft tissue mobilization, and joint mobilization, with an emphasis on the extremities. Participants will combine 30+ hours of online lecture material and a 3-day hands-on lab with dogs as they learn these techniques. Manual therapy concepts and evidence-based rationale for treatment selection are covered in depth. Developing goal-focused treatment plans and assessing outcomes in canine rehabilitation patients will also be covered.
CCMT I- ONLINE @ $249.00 – Introduction to Manual Therapy – Massage, Joint Mobilizations of the Limbs
CCMT II – ONLINE @ $499.00 – Joint Mobilizations of the Spine
CCMT III – LIVE LAB @ $699.00 – (1 day) –Joint Mobilization and Massage. (Skills check-offs are required to pass the course.)
CCMT IV – LIVE LAB @ $1,199.00 – (2 days) Joint Mobilizations of the Spine – Mulligan Concept and Incorporating a Multimodal Approach. (Skills check-offs will be required to pass the course.)
CCMT V – ONLINE @ $399.00 – Case Studies.
CCMT VI – ONLINE @ $499.00 – Timed written exam including video cases.
All must have completed (or have completed the majority) of their CCRP or CCRT/CCRA training.
- DCs (American Veterinary Chiropractic Association)
At the completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate palpation on selected boney segments and landmarks, muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissues in a variety of dogs.
- Develop a program using three manual therapy techniques including massage/soft tissue mobilization and joint mobilization.
- Discuss the precautions and contraindications to various manual therapy techniques (massage/soft tissue mobilization and joint mobilization).
- Describe understand the basic principles of massage/soft tissue mobilization.
- Understand the basic principles of joint mobilizations with an emphasis on the extremities along with normal and abnormal end feels.
- Demonstrate on a patient selected massage/soft tissue mobilizations.
Demonstrate on a patient selected joint mobilizations of the extremities.
Develop a program that incorporates massage/soft tissue mobilization and joint mobilization into a treatment regimen for military/police canine.